My daughter, testing the soup to make sure it's ready... she's on her second "testing" bowl now!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup cubed carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cubed eggplant or zucchini
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup of fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 3 Tbsp dry red wine
- 1 cup dried pasta
- A sprinkle of parmaesan cheese per person
- Add olive oil, garlic and onions to a large, heavy bottomed soup pot, and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots and celery, then gradually mix in the oregano, black pepper and basil.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the green pepper, zucchini, vegetable stock, tomato puree, lentils and wine. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, and keep over low heat until 10 minutes before serving.
- Bring soup to a boil, add pasta, and boil gently for 5-7 minutes or according to the pasta's suggested cooking time.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with a sprinkle of parmaesan cheese and crusty bread.